[ RadSafe ] World?s Pilots Reject Naked Body Scanners> Over Radiation Danger, Privacy Breach

Clayton J Bradt CJB01 at health.state.ny.us
Tue Nov 9 12:46:03 CST 2010

"Flying on commercial aircraft, like driving a car on public roads, is not
a right, but a privilege, dependant on the individual fulfilling a number
of requirements.  If an individual does not like the requirements, they
are welcome to try to change them.  In the mean time, if they don't want
to get scanned or prodded, they had best look into alternative means of
transportation."

Mike, what alternative means of transportation did you have in mind?

You have hit the nail on the head, though:   In the land of the free and
the brave there is no inherent right to travel by any mode of
transportation.  Even on foot, US citizens can be stopped and questioned
by government officials on the slimmest of pretexts; be demanded to
produce identity papers, to explain where they are going and why, and even
be poked and prodded.  Any resistance or refusal to comply would likely
result in the subject being taken into custody for further questioning.

We should ask ourselves why travel should be a privilege to be granted or
denied by government bureaucrats.

Clayton J. Bradt
dutchbradt at hughes.net

>Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 17:00:33 -0800
>From: "Brennan, Mike  (DOH)" <Mike.Brennan at DOH.WA.GOV>
>Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] World?s Pilots Reject Naked Body Scanners>
                 Over Radiation Danger, Privacy Breach (re-sending
without>>)

>The point that seems to be missed here is that the reason for searching
people before they board a plane it to make sure they do not have >items
that will let them take control of the plane.  Pilots already have control
of the plane.  Indeed, in the post-911 search for security, >it was
proposed that pilots be given guns (I do not know if any airlines adopted
this policy).  >

>Having read a number of comments on stories about these scanners, the
overwhelming concern seems to be that someone will be seeing grainy
>monochrome images of people "naked".  The radiation issue, if mentioned
at all, is almost always an afterthought, and stated in a way that >makes
it clear that the person expressing the concern has not bothered to become
informed on the topic.  >

>To me there is a fair analogy to the people, particularly women of a
particular religion, who do not want to have their picture taken for a
>driver's license.  Flying on commercial aircraft, like driving a car on
public roads, is not a right, but a privilege, dependant on the
>individual fulfilling a number of requirements.  If an individual does
not like the requirements, they are welcome to try to change them.  In
>the mean time, if they don't want to get scanned or prodded, they had
best look into alternative means of transportation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.