[ RadSafe ] Landauer MicroStar - You might want to look at Instadsoe for your application

Kenneth Marshall kenneth.marshall at carestreamhealth.com
Fri Nov 12 07:56:03 CST 2010

I have experience with doing some side-by side testing with the Landauer
Microstar unit and Quantum (Mirion) Instadose for similar applications.
I've found that for  the variety of projects that I've been involved with;
Instadose is a bit more sensitive (1 millirem for instadose versus 5
millirem for Landauer - very important for our studies) and Instadose has
proven easier and much less expensive to utilize.

I do a fair amount of monitoring for persons and environments around the
globe, and I like how I can get someone in another continent / country to
plug the Instadose unit into ANY PC and I see the results back here in the
US immediately.

A good feature about reading Instadose versus Microstar is that Instadose
(I have found)  is extremely easy.  We sometimes face  language and
technologically handicapped barriers with people and the instadose wins
hands down for ease of use.  I've trained firemen and they are great guys,
but many can't handle rad detection gear.  These are great for the
technically challenged - No Reader to understand, No batteries, No
buttons, and it has no EMC compatibility issues - great if you need to use
it on aircraft.

I think Mirion has an off-the-web read available too, but I've not used
that.

Ken Marshall
Radiation & Laser Safety Officer
Carestream Health