[ RadSafe ] bakscatter xray - Is the outcry a sign that aircrews need more professional education on the matter?

Kenneth Marshall kenneth.marshall at carestream.com
Mon Nov 15 07:11:02 CST 2010

It is interesting that it is mentioned as low energy.  To me , and I don't
mean to stir up controversy, just noting-

Pilots / Aircrews seem to be concerned perhaps because they don't get the
level of training & monitoring
There seems to be some inconsistency between ALARA practices for aircrews
versus medical professionals as an example.
The risk versus benefit seems not as cut & dry for aircrews as it does for
medical

If the justification is Low Energy = 28 keV, = less control and oversight?

That is equivalent energy used in mammography screenings.

I guess I would like to note, (that to me) it appears somewhat
inconsistent  that our profession sustains ALARA programs and dosimetry
(film bdages, etc)  for  mammo techs but not for the public or pilots when
it comes to airline security.

Back when I was trained, we were taught to train those workers exposed
that  "less was better" and "risk versus benefit" which (IMHO) is a
clearer process for medical than for airline security.

The risk being managed by these scanners  is we  will merely "see" a
weapon that wouldn't ordinarily be picked up by metal detectors.  Threats
like ceramic knives, but other threats like wires/batteries in bombs and
firearms are easily picked up from metal detectors.  NOW if you told me
the backscatter machines also performed analytical chemistry (XRF) to
detect explosives, then I would say they are picking up a lot more threats
than just an image (picking up camouflaged explosives) then the risk
versus benefit argument changes - That is you get more benefit to outweigh
the risk.   But as an imaging device that is only as good as the person
looking at the image, then it seems (to me) there is overall -  a moderate
increase of security and a lot of small doses over a large population.
Perhaps this is alarming to those employed in the airline industry.  Just
food for thought for risk versus benefit.

When there is this much public outcry - IMHO it is perhaps a sign that
pilots and others are not getting the level of education and monitoring we
afford for medical professionals.    If we monitor radiation and have
ALARA programs for professionals in medical - why would we not extend the
same practices in airport security (pilots, aircrews, etc)?  I would agree
that the doses are low, but the education afforded to these "employees"
and public is also very low - so low there is mistrust.

I think our profession should come forward and encourage pilots (and
others) to be educated better on the subject and offer to truly
demonstrate their radiation exposures versus the risks.

Ken Marshall
Radiation & Laser Safety Officer
Carestream Health