[ RadSafe ] bakscatter x-ray

Cary Renquist cary.renquist at ezag.com
Wed Nov 17 19:56:34 CST 2010

I took a quick look at one of the papers that they cite for dose per
scan data... The paper was by some researchers at John Hopkins U.

(Been a long time since I have played with x-rays and I have never dealt
with 50 kVp x-rays)
Their list of equipment for dose measurement was a large ion chamber
(1800 cm^3 volume) and a Thermo Sci. (Bicron) micro-rem survey meter.
Neither of those seem especially appropriate for rigorously
characterizing the dose from such a low energy x-ray source.
Particularly where the concern might be entrance dose.

As I indicated above, I took a really quick look -- haven't read the
experimental protocol/analysis or any of the other papers that are
available.
They can be downloaded from the TSA site: TSA Electronic reading room
http://j.mp/92qzyT

Probably a good read for my flight back home for Thanksgiving...
(perhaps I should grab some heavy metal carrier solution from the lab
(bismuth?/barium?) and paint a smiley face on my skin)

Best regards,
Cary

---
Cary Renquist