[ RadSafe ] Backscatter x-ray

Perle, Sandy SPerle at mirion.com
Thu Nov 18 21:33:11 CST 2010

George,

Here you go:

TSA: New Scanners Kept Many Illegal or Dangerous Items Off Planes This Year

"This year alone, the use of advanced imaging technology has led to the detection of over 130 prohibited, illegal or dangerous items," TSA spokesman Greg Soule told FoxNews.com. The TSA would not disclose exactly what those items were, but it said they included weapons like ceramic knives and various drugs -- including a syringe filled with heroine hidden in a passenger’s underwear."

Considering all of the scans performed, wow, 130 items. Wonder what the cost per item found is. I doubt that this would pass the ALARA principle! Next time a terrorist wants to use the syringe filled with heroine to cause a serious problem on an aircraft, we can all be thankful for the scans.

I fly a lot, a really lot of miles, and I wouldn't mind if the TSA actually accomplished anything, but, it's my opinion it's always reactive and not proactive. As far as the TSA "grope" policy, a California DA just stated that he would prosecute anything that is considered to be sexually perverted, or what is considered not a necessary body search. Right on!

regards,

Sandy

------------------------------
Sander C. Perle
President
Mirion Technologies
Dosimetry Services Division
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

+1 (949) 296-2306 (Office)
+1 (949) 296-1144 (Fax)

Mirion Technologies: http://www.mirion.com/

On Nov 18, 2010, at 6:57 PM, George Andrews wrote:

> Will your opinion remain the same after terrorist use a body cavity or an
> implanted device and we then have body cavity searches or perhaps whole body
> x-rays? I think there is also data that shows some items make it by TSA
> scrutiny. Sounds like you are an advocate of absolute, unquestioning
> obedience to TSA requirements regardless of what they may be. Who provides
> the clearance for TSA employees? What kind of background checks are they
> subject to? Are they scanned, searched and ID validated every time they
> report to work? Is there salary such that they could be bought easily?
>
> Some consideration need be given to what might be called reasonable and
> effective measures. Is there a measure of the efficacy of  TSA measures? How
> many terrorist acts have been averted by TSA scanning and patdowns? It would
> be interesting to see some data!
>
> Although not a radiation protection issue, it is an airline travel issue.
> What measures would you consider reasonable to protect everyone from the
> terrorist (or terrorists) who is intentionally infected with a biological
> agent?
>
> I am not opposed to some security measures. Such measures must actually be
> in place to minimize a threat, not just something to give the appearance of
> TSA making air travel safer for the public.
>
> George Andrews

PROPRIETARY INFORMATION NOTICE:   This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain proprietary information of Mirion Technologies and/or its affiliates.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the message, delete the original message and all attachments from your computer, and destroy any copies you may have made.  Thank you.