[ RadSafe ] protraction enhancement effect

Otto G. Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Wed Sep 1 19:14:25 CDT 2010

At 03:54 PM 9/1/2010, Jerry Cohen wrote:
>If this protracted dose hypothesis were valid, then people in
>Colorado would be worse off those in California. Cancer mortality
>statistics show the opposite effect. As I recall from the Radiation
>Biology class I had about 50 years ago, in the low-dose range (<5.0
>rem), the dose rate is unimportant.
>Have things changed since then?
************************************
Dear Jerry,

As described in my March HPJ paper, at low dose rates the latency is
so long that it exceeds the natural life span resulting in a life
span virtual threshold at cumulative doses less than 20 Sv  (2000
rem) to the target tissues  (bronchial epithelium in the case of
radon decay products).

So, even though the radiation is "more effective"  in observed cases
at lower life time average dose rates, radiation-induced lung cancer
cases are rare for cumulative doses less than 20 Sv.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140