[ RadSafe ] RadSafe Digest, Vol 407, Issue 1

Mark Sonter sontermj at tpg.com.au
Tue Sep 14 01:05:13 CDT 2010

My Thanks to all who responded re the tailings question: but I have
obviously been too coy and not clear enough... It's gamma, not radon,
that I am interested in...and I am not enquiring about the effectiveness
of cover....

I have a future hypothetical tailings deposit which will NOT be emitting
radon but which is a large area source of strong gammas, at 1 MeV and at
2.6 MeV (guess what it is??), and I suspect the gamma doserate standing
on the surface of the pile will be about 200 microsieverts per hour.

Does anybody have any idea how I might estimate gamma skyshine at a
distance of (say) 200 metres from the boundary of such a source, of area
(say) 100 m x 100 m ???

Mark Sonter

--
Mark Sonter

Radiation Advice & Solutions Pty Ltd,   abn 31 891 761 435
Asteroid Enterprises Pty Ltd,   abn 53 008 115 302

116 Pennine Drive, South Maclean, Queensland 4280, Australia

Phone / fax  (07) 3297 7653   Mobile 0412 433 286

“Keep everything as simple as possible, but no simpler”  - A. Einstein

--This email was produced using recycled electrons--