[ RadSafe ] Members in New Zealand

Roger Helbig rhelbig at sfo.com
Tue Sep 21 06:14:53 CDT 2010

I just became aware that the ICBUW is touting a private bill in New Zealand
- I am looking for New Zealanders on this list to make your MPs aware that
they are being lied to in this legislation -

Roger Helbig

New Zealand DU ban bill introduced into parliament

Posted by Icbuw Coordinator
<http://apps.facebook.com/causes/activists/67584894>  at 2:20am on September
10th, 2010

Phil Twyford MP's draft bill for a ban on depleted uranium weapons in New
Zealand has been introduced to parliament.

After spending 10 months awaiting selection in the New Zealand parliament's
lottery for Private Members Bills, Phil Twyford's (
phil.twyford at parliament.govt.nz  ) draft bill for a depleted uranium ban has
finally been selected for discussion. If it becomes law, the draft bill
would introduce a general prohibition on the possession, use, sale,
manufacture, testing and transit of all conventional munitions and armour
containing uranium in New Zealand. Similar bills are at varying stages of
development in Costa Rica and Ireland.

Twyford is the Associate Foreign Affairs Spokesperson on Disarmament and
Arms Control for the opposition Labour party and is hopeful that the bill
will attract cross party support. Previous reviews of the issue by the NZ
government failed to back a precautionary ban but during the review process
it emerged that the NZ Defence Force would support a ban.

Phil Twyford MP In a statement, Phil Twyford said:"My Bill would prohibit
depleted uranium weapons on the basis of the precautionary principle. The
Belgians have done this, and the Irish Parliament is currently considering a
similar Bill.

"I believe there is sufficient concern internationally about the health
effects on people subjected to depleted uranium weapons that they should
banned until independent scientific evidence proves they're not responsible
for unacceptable health problems, including birth defects.

"New Zealand should take a principled position on this and add our voice to
the growing international campaign against depleted uranium weapons."