[ RadSafe ] 600 years

Bernard L. Cohen blc at pitt.edu
Mon Sep 27 15:00:56 CDT 2010

  The 600 year figure applies to the residue after very sophisticated
chemical processing (which has yet to be demonstrated on a commercial
scale). Without chemical processing, the time for the spent fuel to
decay as specified would be several tens of thousands of years

--
Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept., University of Pittsburgh