[ RadSafe ] Godzilla (YES!)

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Fri Apr 8 16:09:05 CDT 2011

RADSAFErs, dear collegues,

Tired of the very often science fiction like news about Fukushima? I
definitely was this European evening, so I decided to watch the film
“Godzilla”, USA 1998. It starts with pictures and films about nuclear
detonations which are clearly from US tests – some very well known with the
battle ships close to the detonation. Insofar interesting because the text
indicates the place of the origin of the story to French Polynesia, even
showing maps with Mururoa and Fangataufa in the middle. Since I have been
three weeks on those atolls, supervising extensive sampling of my
terrestrial working group I can certainly testify that the filming locations
were not there. I have seen a lot of creatures there, especially of interest
being the red hermit crabs, but thousands of fish in all colours and their
mixture. I have never seen a lizard or any of these reptiles which my
dictionary calls “saurians” (sounds strange to me). I  hopefully do not need
to strengthen that I have not met Godzilla during my stay. The very simple
explanation of creation of Godzilla was that it was a mutation due to
nuclear radiation. Interesting was also that whatever Godzilla touched
became radioactive.

I switched the programme off after this interesting “introduction”, before
the obligatory love story evolved.

I enjoyed this as a change from our Austrian massmedia, which tell us that
not only the pacific, but also all oceans on this world will be dangerously
contaminated, including all fish and the European Union has ordered
surveillance of fish and seafood imported from Japan – as if there were
any....... apan imports for instance huge amounts of salmon from Norway,
tuna from the Mediterranian......

Best regards and be careful in believing anything that mass media
distribute!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD

MinRat i.R.