[ RadSafe ] High radiation levels detected at Fukushima grounds a month after explosions

Perle, Sandy sperle at mirion.com
Tue Apr 26 09:17:33 CDT 2011

It is positive that we are actually be provided data for specific
locations, and I am assuming that the data provided is accurate. The dose
rates don't surprise me since that would be expected where there has been
a breech of particulates, liquid, etc. What would be more interesting is a
map of the population zones in and around the plant to determine which
areas are inhabitable and individuals can come home, or, uninhabitable due
to the rates. The isotopic make-up is also important of what is there to
take decay into account.

A very tragic situation. The people in and around Fukushima have endured
the unthinkable, a devastating earthquake, a Tsunami and now the nuclear
plant disaster. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of the people in
Japan with the knowledge that you will endure these tragedies.

Regards,

Sandy

-----------------------------------
Sander C. Perle
President
Mirion Technologies
Dosimetry Services Division
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

+1 (949) 296-2306 (Office)
+1 (949) 296-1130 (Fax)

Mirion Technologies: http://www.mirion.com/

On 4/26/11 6:40 AM, "RRGWNYEnviro at aol.com" <RRGWNYEnviro at aol.com> wrote:

>High radiation levels detected at Fukushima grounds a month after
>explosions
>
>2011/04/26
>_http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201104250130.html_
>(http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201104250130.html)
>Please check the latest developments in this disaster. From Toshio Jo,
>managing editor, International Division, The Asahi Shimbun.
>

>* * *
>High levels of radiation were detected on the grounds of the Fukushima
>No.
>1 nuclear power plant one month after explosions spewed radioactive
>materials, according to Tokyo Electric Power Co.
>The findings were shown in a map depicting radiation levels that TEPCO
>released for the first time on April 24.
>Radiation levels in the air around the No. 1 and No. 3 reactor buildings
>were especially high, mainly because the explosions damaged the buildings
>and
>spread radioactive materials.
>The air in an area to the northwest of the No. 3 reactor building had
>radiation levels of up to 70 millisieverts per hour. That building was
>damaged by
>explosion on March 14, three days after the Great East Japan Earthquake
>and
>tsunami crippled the plant.
>TEPCO first compiled the radiation level map on March 22 and has
>periodically updated it. The map is used to monitor radiation exposure of
>workers at
>the Fukushima plant and prepare new work plans for the plant grounds.
>Workers check radiation levels in the air every seven to 10 days or
>before
>any work procedure starts.
>If unusually high radiation levels are detected, further testing of
>rubble
>in the area is conducted to determine the cause of the high levels.
>Radiation levels as high as 130 millisieverts per hour were confirmed
>around the No. 1 and No. 3 reactor buildings in late March.
>Because radiation decreases with the passage of time, subsequent testing
>found lower levels.
>But if the level of 70 millisieverts per hour continues to the northwest
>of
>the No. 3 reactor building, a worker who remains in that area for four
>hours will have been exposed to more than the upper limit of 250
>millisieverts
>established for individuals engaged in work at the Fukushima plant.
>Workers exposed to that total level of radiation will not be allowed to
>work in the area.
>On March 20, concrete rubble found west of the No. 3 reactor building had
>radiation levels of 900 millisieverts per hour. Even after that rubble
>was
>removed, radiation levels in the air measured between 10 and 30
>millisieverts
>per hour.
> [...]

PROPRIETARY INFORMATION NOTICE:   This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain proprietary information of Mirion Technologies and/or its affiliates.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the message, delete the original message and all attachments from your computer, and destroy any copies you may have made.  Thank you.