[ RadSafe ] Arnie Gundersen - Another One Who Interviews on Russia Today and Floods the Net

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Thu Apr 28 19:42:59 CDT 2011

April 28

         I scrolled through the Fukushima Updates at the Fairewinds
website (link below).  I can't comment on the technical claims of
Fairewinds or of Gunderson.  I did notice four revealing things.

         First Gunderson discussed "the consequences of the Fukushima
radioactive fallout on Japan, the USA, and the world." with Steve
Wing.  Enough said on that point.

         Second, when talking about levels of exposure, he used
disintegrations per second, thus making it possible to use very large
numbers --- once 900,000 dps, and once 2,000,000 dps.

         Third, he repeated the standard cliches about a coverup by
the Japanese government,

         Fourth, he discusses "how Governments are once again
limiting public access to accurate radiation dose information."

         Does any of this sound like the standard no-nuke hokum?

         According to the e-mail below, Gunderson claimed that the
hydrogen explosion forced enough fuel rods together to cause a prompt
criticality and another explosion.  Based on what I have read about
atomic bomb design I find this hard to believe.  Isn't one of the
biggest problems in bomb design a problem of getting the two
sub-critical masses to stay together long enough to cause an
explosion?  Even if a hydrogen explosion could force some fuel rods
close together what is going to keep them together long enough to
allow an explosion to occur?  Wouldn't they merely bounce apart as
soon as they made contact?  Or even if an explosion could began,
wouldn't it blow the rods apart and make the make the criticality
event into a fizzle?

         I'm not a bomb designer or a nuclear engineer, nevertheless
to me this prompt criticality" claim sounds rather unlikely.  I could
stand to be corrected on any or all of my speculations.

Steven Dapra