[ RadSafe ] Used Fuel

SFisher373 at aol.com SFisher373 at aol.com
Fri Apr 29 14:36:43 CDT 2011

Franz, I beg to differ with what you say regarding used fuel.  Within  Used
Fuel a number of things are happening.  For one, the U-238 is being
changed to Pu-239.  As well, there is Pu-241 being formed.  And Pu-239  and Pu-241
are more fissile than the U-235.  On the down side, you have the  poisons
building up in the fuel.

The main reason that we can not run our fuel in Candu reactors too long is
not that they are too depleted, but that the increased Pu-239 causes a
lower,  delayed neutron fraction, beta.  The lower beta causes the reactor to
react  faster, and to increase the chances of prompt criticality.  The used
fuel  causes the reactor to react faster than our shutdown systems could
handle.   So we change the fuel, to ensure that we are within our safety
envelope.

At PACS in Hungary, there was a prompt criticality with used fuel as
detailed in the WANO SOER 2007-1(I think) on reactivity management.   They were
washing the used fuel to remove deposits on it, when the pressure was
released too quickly, and the fuel bundles cracked, and the pellets ended up in  a
pile. So prompt criticality is a possibility with used fuel.  Once the
neutrons went up, the safety injectors injected Boric Acid and stopped the
criticality.

Spencer M Fisher
Reactor Physics Instructor
Ontario Power Generation

In a message dated 29/04/2011 12:43:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,