[ RadSafe ] FW: Reporter's question about lowerlimitsofdetection

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Mon Aug 8 13:48:20 CDT 2011

Tom,

Regarding your comment that car air filters might be an excellent qualitative approach as to the nature of contamination you are of course right. BUT!!!! From the radiation protection  view I have to severely oppose your approach (and that of this wannabe scientist Mr. Chris) that they might be used for any radiation protection purpose.

What is needed in the case of a nuclear accident is not a qualitative estimation (with several thousand % of error) but quantitative numbers of I-131, I-132, Cs-134, Cs-137 etc. concentrations in aerosols, in precipitation, even  more important in food and soil.

All countries I know, including Japan, have ample sampling devices for doing it and they do not depend on a British anti-nuclear agitator to measure with outdated NaI(Tl) detectors radionuclides "over the thumb".

Everywhere in Europe and most countries I know overseas, modern sampling equipment and analytical instruments are used. Why bother about the above mentioned British anti-nuclear agitator and his funny idea to use car-filters ??????

If you think that I am wrong, please contact me, I would appreciate it.

Best regards,

Franz