[ RadSafe ] Reply to Franz

John Ahlquist john.ahlquist at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 3 15:52:48 CST 2011

Franz,

The 4000 MW[t] is not an error.  For much more information, type "Phoebus 2A"
into Google.  I was involved in the tests of these reactors. I believe the
authors have an error in the run time of this reactor.  On the final full power
run, It ran at 4000 MW for  12-15 minutes, reduced the power and came back up to
full power and then repeated the cycle one more time.  This was to test the
effects of temperature cycling on the fuel.  The reactor was designed to run at
5000 MW but some internal core temperatures prohibited the operators from going
that high.

The reactor was intended for deep space exploration.  It would be lifted into
space by a chemically-fueled rocket.  In space there would not need to be much
shielding to protect the crew and the liquid hydrogen coolant/propellant tanks
would be between the crew and the reactor.  The stated goal was to operate for
10 hours and be able to stop and start it up to 60 times.  It would generate
250,000 lbs of thrust.

LLNL was developing a nuclear ramjet engine for aircraft. It could not be
practically used because of high radiation dose rates.

John

Message: 2