[ RadSafe ] RadSafe Digest, Vol 540, Issue 1

Harrison, Tony Tony.Harrison at dphe.state.co.us
Mon Feb 14 13:48:44 CST 2011

Well, here's one reference

Radiation Research 164(4):409-419. 2005
doi: 10.1667/RR3423.1

Radiation Exposure due to Local Fallout from Soviet Atmospheric Nuclear Weapons Testing in Kazakhstan: Solid Cancer Mortality in the Semipalatinsk Historical Cohort, 1960-1999
Susanne Bauer1ac, Boris I. Gusevb, Ludmila M. Pivinab, Kazbek N. Apsalikovb, and Bernd Groschea

There has actually been a some speculation that the dramatic rise in lung cancer in the 60's and 70's was directly tied to the increase in radioactive material in the air beginning in 1945, and that subsequent reductions in cancer incidence is tied just as directly to the test ban treaty of 1963.The hypothesis would be nearly impossible to prove, and as far as I know, no one has made any attempt to conduct a worldwide analysis.

I'd like to point out, however, that this is almost exactly the sort of data that Radsafers are so happy to point to when discussing background radiation and cancer incidence in Colorado.

I love the way we can always find data to support our prejudices.

Tony Harrison, MSPH
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
Laboratory Services Division

Boys:

Who the heck mentioned Rn, U? I didn't mention radon anywhere, did I? But
you have.

It's not nice to mock or fool with the DHS...

Jeff, no one believes that any radon was transported anywhere except
perhaps you. But thanks though for the colorful map. May I quote you on any of the
above for the record? Eeks and yikes -- as an asst. professor of physics at
that online technical college you don't really think that about radon do
you? Please don't teach your students at ITT that. Thanks again though, as my
kid used the map to color in all the areas with different crayons at Chucky
Cheese this evening while we waited for our pizza. It was quite satisfying
to see a young mind grasp this so quickly.

Mixing apples, oranges and dirty bombs are we now? Tsk, tsk. "Oh the
humanity." Or, If there's a reading comprehension difficulty, I've left my message
once again below here for a reread. I'm not above offering assistance to
those that are challenged. Back in the day (non-pc) they were called "slow
learners." What does radon have to do with the title of the thread? Nothing at
all. Talk about "alternative energy" -- take your diversionary energies and
use them for good, would you please.

Perhaps you would both do well to study up on the origins of materials
being mentioned in the discussion prior to responding to messages left and
addressed to another.

Sure, this is an open board and as such you are well within you "rights" to
respond to whatever you wish (blah, blah and so on..) Other than this
response, I will choose to await the comments of my official, Mr. Bradt. Sorry.
If, on the other hand you'd like to have an intelligent discussion of these
subjects, I'd be glad to respond. BTW and yep, I'm quite familiar with the U
deposits in the US and elsewhere, including the Colorado Plateau. I did a
research project for the DOE a couple of years ago (I was solicited by them)
about these exact things with regard to my little hometown, "Los Alamos
East." It's on file in the EM office there on the plateau. Go check if you wish.
It was quite good if I do say so myself and there's a wonderful thank you
letter from them in the file.

FYI, my reference for Mr. Bradt was to this -- you both should understand
as it's a simple wiki link reference. Please boys. Now try and be good.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_nuclear_fission_reactor

----

To repeat...as it seems I must for some... ;)

Message: 1