[ RadSafe ] body dose

Otto G. Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Fri Feb 25 16:59:45 CST 2011

At 08:28 PM 2/24/2011, Mark S. Sasser wrote:

>Routine bio assay Measurement Results
>the results of the subject individual's routine urine measurement in 1987 are
>consistent with those expectedfrom the previously evaluated intakes
>that occured
>in 1964 ,1966,1967.
>in 1986 he was still showing 4100mrem(27% of the standard ). to his lung.
>
>my father now 84 years old and we do not know what we should do
>about what is in
>his lungs?
***********************
Consider these facts:

4100 mrem is the dose of alpha radiation that just about everyone
living in Colorado gets every year from natural radon decay products in homes.

4100 mrem is the dose of alpha radiation that a cigarette smoker gets
in three months from polonium-210.

Neither of these exposures is likely to result in detrimental
effects. People in Colorado have lower lung cancer rates than in most
other States.

Most people don't make it to 84 years of age.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140