[ RadSafe ] Low-level radioactive waste dump in West Texas [Serco No Marking]

Derek Putley derek.putley at serco.com
Thu Jan 6 02:24:12 CST 2011

Carl

Thanks for your post - it is interesting news. My understanding is that the Andrews site has already been approved to receive LLW originating from within the State of Texas.

The referenced blog and associated weblinks seem to show that there has been some controversity in respect of the environmental safety case for the Andrews plant.

In the UK most of the LLW that has been disposed of has been sent to the Low Level Waste Repository near Drigg in Cumbria (see http://www.llwrsite.com/).

This is the national repository for LLW in the UK and has operated since 1959. Within the next few years the UK Environment Agency we will be reviewing whether to carry on authorising LLW disposal at this Repository (see http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/business/sectors/115648.aspx).

Best Regards

Derek Putley

Technical Area Lead (Criticality)

Serco (Technical Services)
Thomson House, Risley, Warrington, Cheshire, WA3 6GA, UK

>>> radsafe-request at health.phys.iit.edu> 05 Jan 2011 18:00 >> ( mailto:radsafe-request at health.phys.iit.edu> )

>Message: 9
>Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 16:04:49 -0800
>From: "Cary Renquist" <cary.renquist at ezag.com>
>Subject: [ RadSafe ] Low-level radioactive waste dump in West Texas
>gets OKto import

>Low-level radioactive waste dump in West Texas gets OK | Salsa Verde
>http://j.mp/h8iQ32

>Texas can import low-level radioactive waste from 36 other states, a
>commission run jointly by Texas and Vermont decided Tuesday in Andrews
>County.

*****Disclaimer************
This email and any attachments may contain confidential and/or
privileged material; it is for the intended addressee(s) only. If
you are not a named addressee, you must not use, retain or
disclose such information.

Serco cannot guarantee that the email or any attachments are free
from viruses.
The views expressed in this email are those of the originator and
do not necessarily represent the views of Serco.

Nothing in this email shall bind Serco in any contract or
obligation.

Please note that all email messages sent to Serco are subject to
monitoring / interception for lawful business purposes.

Serco Group plc.  Registered in England and Wales.  No: 2048608
Registered Office:  Serco House, 16 Bartley Wood Business Park,
Bartley Way, Hook, Hampshire, RG27 9UY, United Kingdom.
*****End Disclaimer********