[ RadSafe ] Collective Dose and Death

Otto G. Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jan 6 10:16:28 CST 2011

At 10:11 PM 1/5/2011, Howard Long wrote:
>Sunshine, 20 min a week for a year to arms and face, is needed, although
>30 x that burns, if at one sitting.
>Sunshine, better than aspirin, illustrates inappropriatness of
>collective dose of ionizing radiation because more similar. Right, Otto?
*******************************
I don';t see the connection.

Sunlight is is more complex. The burns are caused by infrared but the
skin cancers are caused by ultraviolet near the other end of the
visible light spectrum.

  I don't think there is a linear relationship between skin cancer
risk and ultraviolrt exposure. In fact, I believe there is an
effective threshold.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140