[ RadSafe ] X-rays linked to increased childhood leukemia risk

Cary Renquist cary.renquist at ezag.com
Wed Jan 19 10:55:40 CST 2011

Just as we get a little sanity with respect to immunizations, a new
source of woo is going to be scaring parents into making poor
decisions...

Seems rather irresponsible to publish this -- if what they are observing
was really caused by the x-rays, then there would likely be a major
epidemic of leukemia.  My guess for a culprit is the inflammation and
repair response involved in bone injuries or something along those
lines.
Extraordinary results require extraordinary evidence.

X-rays linked to increased childhood leukemia risk
http://j.mp/gysNRq

... Specifically, the researchers found that children with acute
lymphoid leukemia (ALL) had almost twice the chance of having been
exposed to three or more X-rays compared with children who did not have
leukemia. For B-cell ALL, even one X-ray was enough to moderately
increase the risk. The results differed slightly by the region of the
body imaged, with a modest increase associated with chest X-rays. ...

Just checked, the paper is actually available for download:
<http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/current>

Cary

---
Cary Renquist