[ RadSafe ] The chemical side of the Japanese earthquake/tsunami

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Fri Jul 1 16:21:21 CDT 2011

Mike:
Many thanks for posting this (for easy access: http://tinyurl.com/6bdbzz4 ).

While we, and in particular certain people, have focused on the Fukushima
nuclear plant problems and the potential impact of them, we should not
forget the bigger picture. Possibly the long-term impact of the widespread
chemical pollution will be greater than that of the radiation releases.

And, unlike the previous nuclear incident in Chernobyl, the range of
confounders to any epidemiological studies is obviously much greater. Not
that will have the slightest impact on certain persons who focus only on the
impact (real or imagined) of low level doses of radiation.

Regards
Doug

Doug Aitken
QHSE Advisor, Schlumberger D&M Operations Support
Cell Phone: 713-562-8585
(alternate e-mail: doug.aitken at slb.com )
Mail: c/o Therese Wigzell,
Schlumberger,