[ RadSafe ] Mission to Mars - Long story short

Hansen, Richard (CONTR) HansenRG at nv.doe.gov
Tue Jul 5 12:42:31 CDT 2011

The "Ionizing Radiation Dose Ranges" charts from the US Department of Energy, Low Dose Radiation Research Program (www.lowdose.energy.gov) show an estimated dose of about 120 rem (1.2 Sv) for a 3-year Mars mission "with current shielding." I am having troubling accessing their website this morning, so I attached the rem version of the chart. They also have the chart in units of sieverts. As for increased dose during a maximum solar activity, I don't know, but as a point of reference, these charts show the dose from a "Charged particle event
(Solar flare) dose on moon, no shielding" can range up to 200 rem (2 Sv). I do not have information on the reference(s) DOE used for these values.

Note: These charts were constructed with the intention of providing a simple, user-friendly, "order-of-magnitude" reference for radiation exposures of interest to scientists, managers, and the general public.

File: DOE BER Dose Ranges Chart (rem) June 2010.pdf (118 KB)

Rick Hansen
Senior Scientist
CTOS - Center for Radiological/Nuclear Training at the Nevada National Security Site
National Security Technologies, LLC
Contractor to the United States Department of Energy
hansenrg at nv.doe.gov
www.ctosnnsa.org

The statements and opinions expressed herein are those of the author and not necessarily those of the United States Government or any agency thereof, or National Security Technologies. Reference herein to any specific commercial product, process or service does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, favoring, or a commitment to purchase. This email and any attachments may contain privacy act information. If you received this message in error or are not the intended recipient you should destroy this message and any attachments, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing, or using any information contained herein. Please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail. Thank you for your cooperation.