[ RadSafe ] RadSafe Digest, Vol 695, Issue 1

Mark Sonter sontermj at tpg.com.au
Thu Jul 21 19:58:06 CDT 2011

Can I give everybody a bit of advice?

1.  Humour does not translate well, between languages, and even between
different cultures within the english speaking world (eg my Australian
humour is often not understood by Americans and Brits and vice versa,
and consequently I may be thought by them to be a clown or a rude person).

Therefore we should try to avoid humour, especially politically
incorrect humour, if it can be misunderstood.  Otherwise you should make
very clear that a statement is intended as a joke or as irony or as sarcasm.

Otherwise people can get offended due to misunderstanding.

2.  It is important for all of us sometimes to try to have a 'thick
skin', to be impervious to, or not easily upset by apparent insults.

Repeated angry backwards-and-forwards responses, particularly in a
technical forum like Radsafe, are really just a waste of time and emotion.

So can we please try to recognise the expertise of some of our older
colleagues, and similarly can some of our older colleagues please try to
restrain themselves from over-reacting to some of the
less-well-considered comments they think are insulting.

In responses it is sensible to restrict ourselves to rebutting factual
errors.

Meanwhile, I still think Radsafe is an excellent forum, and wish
everybody well....

Mark Sonter

Radiation Advice & Solutions Pty Ltd,   abn 31 891 761 435
Asteroid Enterprises Pty Ltd,   abn 53 008 115 302

116 Pennine Drive, South Maclean, Queensland 4280, Australia

Phone / fax  (07) 3297 7653   Mobile 0412 433 286

“Keep everything as simple as possible, but no simpler”  - A. Einstein

--This email was produced using recycled electrons--