[ RadSafe ] Dental X-ray Doses

Hansen, Richard (CONTR) HansenRG at nv.doe.gov
Tue Jun 7 10:07:44 CDT 2011

Otto,

This is not my area of expertise, but the NCRP Report No. 160 has the following information.
The dose depends on whether you want the dose per image (5 uSv) or dose per examination (90 uSv for 18 images).

Ionizing radiation exposure of the population of the United States. NCRP Report No. 160
Pg 100-101

Based on the number of dental bitewing film packets sold in the United States per year (in 2006), 500 million bitewing images were taken in 2006.
Effective dose per image estimated at 1 to 22 uSv, with 5 uSv used as the average effective dose per image.
Assuming 18 images in a full-mouth series, gives an effective dose per examination of 18 to 400 uSv (or 90 uSv per examination using the average of 5 uSv per image)

Quotes from Report:
Effective Dose (or effective dose equivalent)
Dental: bitewing and full-mouth survey
(per image, not per examination)	     0.005 mSv

Dental panoramic 0.01 mSV
Dental cephalometric  0.012 mSv

For dental exposures, the dose per image data were derived
from Gibbs (2000) and are comparable to Ludlow et al. (2008) using
the ICRP (1991) formulation for E. ICRP (2007a) has included additional
tissues to be considered when calculating E* (brain and salivary
glands separately; and extrathoracic region, lymphatic nodes,
and oral mucosa in the remainder category). Ludlow et al. (2008)
have incorporated this information and, based on measured doses
in the relevant tissues and organs, estimate that the value of E*
would range from 1 to 22 uSv per image for a bitewing or full-mouth
series, assuming 18 images in a full-mouth series. In particular,
Ludlow et al. (2008) estimate E* at 21 uSv for commonly used round
collimation and D-speed film. The Ludlow et al. (2008) E* value for
a panoramic examination ranges from 14 to 24 uSv and the value
for a cephalometric examination is ~5 uSv.

Rick Hansen
Senior Scientist
CTOS - Center for Radiological/Nuclear Training at the Nevada National Security Site
National Security Technologies, LLC
Contractor to the United States Department of Energy
hansenrg at nv.doe.gov
www.ctosnnsa.org