[ RadSafe ] Ag-108m

rdecker2 at ix.netcom.com rdecker2 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 7 23:54:30 CDT 2011

I'm not sure why one would wish to use DandD for determining DCGL's.  I would think using RESRAD codes would provide a better results. I don't remember if Ag-108m is a part of their library (and I don't have it loaded on this computer) however you may be able to use Ag-110 if you could provide evidence that it is s more conservative value (based perhaps on critical organ using teens or children).

You may also "argue" the scenario with the regulator as to whether the use of children or teens is a "reasonable" condition of the scenario (after clean up the site is still controlled by the same owner and teens and children are not allowed on the site).

Also, if the contribution of Ag-108m is a very small fraction of the nuclide mixture its contribution will likely also be low.  You could run a decay of the other nuclides over time and note the residual activity (dose)as the shorter lived radionuclides decay off (using Ag-110 to bogus Ag-108m at a T-1/2 of 127 or ~436 years (whichever reference you use for T-1/2). You may find the dose contribution of this nuclide (Ag-108m) to your nuclide mix is bug dust (but you would still have to account for it).

Give the people at Argonne East a call: Charlie Yu or one of the people in his group and talk to them about Ag-108m and your concern.  You can get their numbers from the RESRAD Codes site they may be able to provide you with insight as to why DandD does not include Ag-108m.