[ RadSafe ] Atomic gardening: Day of the irradiated peanuts

Thompson, Dewey L DThompson3 at ameren.com
Mon Jun 13 11:20:49 CDT 2011

There is an experiment we do with the Local Boy Scout Troops when we do the Nuclear Energy Merit Badge:

Take garden beans that have been irradiated:  One set with no dose, one set at 80 Gray (8,000 Rad), and the third set at 160 Gray (16,000 Rad).

The experimenter plants three test pots and observes the growth.  The set irradiated at 80 Gray always has the most vigorous growth and best yield.

I have attached a PDF of a paper originally from the Soviet Union that was the basis of the experiment.

Dewey

DEWEY THOMPSON
Staff HP
Radiation Protection Department