[ RadSafe ] political funding of science/ was:Radon:POWERFULLY associated with LESS lung cancer by B.Cohen

Fri Jun 17 13:30:39 CDT 2011

Although Abraham Lincoln, one of our best presidents and clearly the
greatest Republican of our country's history, did not actually say the
word, "The Constitution is not a suicide pact", he clearly believed that
and acted upon it.  If the federal government were to ignore the
importance of advancing science and technology, it would inevitably have
the same effect as when the Chinese Empire chose to turn its back on the
rest of the world, and stagnate while the rest of the world over took
it, and exploited it, and ultimately destroyed it (Yes, I know that the
land and the people still exist, but the government does not, and what
ultimately replaced it hasn't been terribly enlightened, even compared
to the dismal record of the Empire).

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Glenn R.
Marshall
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 11:16 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] political funding of science/
was:Radon:POWERFULLY associated with LESS lung cancer by B.Cohen

I have searched the U.S. Constitution and can find no authority given to
the federal government to fund or engage in scientific research (except
maybe as it pertains to funding an army or navy or setting weights and
measures).  Individual states may fund research--usually through
universities, but the federal government's authority in this area is
limited to the issuance of patents and copyrights.

Don't shoot me; I'm just reading what it says.

Glenn Marshall