[ RadSafe ] Unacceptable Reason For A Dose

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Sun Jun 19 02:43:29 CDT 2011

June 18

         This article doesn't make a particle of sense.

         When someone is hired to work in a reactor isn't he
automatically issued a respirator?  Seems to me he should be.  If the
employee wears eyeglasses shouldn't he be issued eyeglasses that fit
under a respirator, or a respirator that will accommodate the eyeglasses?

         To what were these two workers exposed?  The article mumbles
something about potassium iodide tablets but says nothing about
radioactive iodine.

         The article says, "The men were so busy in the control
rooms, they ate at their posts, which required removing their
protective masks."  Isn't a control room a rad area?  If so, why were
they eating in a rad area?  What is the point of wearing a respirator
if you're going to take it off to eat?

         The article also says, "Tepco said it had taken additional
steps to monitor the radiation exposure of workers at the plant, such
as having them wear dosimeters while on duty that automatically
record radiation doses."  About 15 years ago I worked on an UMTRA
project which was barely above background and we wore dosimeters
(TLD's) whenever we were on the site.  Why aren't the Tepco employees
already wearing dosimeters all the time?

Steven Dapra