[ RadSafe ] Radon: POWERFULLY associated with LESS lung cancer by B.Cohen

Chris Hofmeyr chris.hofmeyr at webmail.co.za
Sun Jun 19 05:10:06 CDT 2011

Dear Howard, Radsafers,
I devised a sensitive way to assess Cohen's data which indicated very
convincingly that domestic radon concentration, particularly at the high end,
had no effect - either positive or negative - on lung cancer mortality. This
fits neatly with Raabe's findings about protracted low-intensity exposure - we
simply do not survive long enough to see the effect, even at the high end
average levels.

I must emphasise that the above findings pertain to the upper ranges of average
radon concentration (Cohen's data) and I therefore cannot make any pronouncement
on the lower ranges.

However, Howard, you yourself mentioned that the 'apparent' negative
correlation is similarly strong with or without smoking correction. Exactly
because there happens to be a negative correlation between smoking prevalence
and radon concentration (for his purposes Cohen would certainly have preferred
no correlation), the smoking corrected LC data should, in my estimation, show a
less strong negative correlation?  To me that is a strong indication that the
smoking correction is problematic, but it definitely does not preclude the
possibility of a negative correlation per se.

Regards.
Chris Hofmeyr
chris.hofmeyr at webmail.co.za

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 08:29:55 -0700 Howard <howard.long at comcast.net> wrote