[ RadSafe ] Air samples on west coast

Jim Hardeman Jim.Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Thu Jun 23 15:15:23 CDT 2011

Folks --

How about some real data?

UC Berkeley (I refuse to call it "California") has been operating an interesting air sampling setup (Air Filtration Experiment B) involving a HEPA-filter from a commercial HEPA vacuum system. Turns out the filter fits conveniently over one of their high-purity germanium (HpGe) gamma spectrometers. Looks to me like they're sampling for 24 hours (sample volume ~3,500,000 liters in ~24 hours) and then counting for 24 hours. It's not clear how long the filter is allowed to decay (to allow radon / thoron daughters to decay away) before analysis, but as you can see by looking at the individual spectra, radon / thoron daughters and K-40 account for the bulk of the activity on these filters, even in late March -- when the concentration of Fukushima-related radioactive materials was at its peak.

I would note that many of these radon daughters are alpha-emitters as well, and would be expected to light up an autoradiograph -- particularly in a "fresh" automobile air filter.

See http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/AirSamplingResults

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division