[ RadSafe ] Hot particles on automobile air filters

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Sun Jun 26 05:10:59 CDT 2011

Chris,-
So you are doing a NaI(Tl) low resolution experiment. What an exciting experiment. Already 15 years (and longer) ago we used within Europe exclusively Germanium detectors, because of the necessary resolution. And the "experiment" was always to put a sample on the detector and press the "count" button. Of course for impressing your lay clientel the words "low resolution, NaI, experiment" wil be  much more impressive than "we put a sample on the detector and the technician presses the "count" button. This is the usual way how to impress these people. Haven't you ever thought , that on RADSAFE there are quite a lot of knowledgable people?

However you show a lack of radiation protection knowledge. To calculate the contributing dose from fresh fallout Cs-134 is a fundamental requirement in radiation protection and was taken into considreration of for instance the EU regulations after the accident. It is not at all negligible compared to Cs-137. Aren't you and your affiliations always distributing propaganda about the dangers of radioactivity? Why do you then neglect Cs-134? Because it is more difficult to measure it separately from Cs-137? I know about countries which introduced a kind of "gross cesium" to account for total cesium of Cs-137+134., Though I am absolute against any gross measurements I think that this was in the case of the nuclear accident justified, because the energies arte not to wide apart. I am not supporting any

You write about "we saw this in Europe...."  Who is "we"? I have during all these years never heard or read anything about a "Chris Busby".  It is a common trick of uninvolved persons to put oneself into the middle of action by saying "we". So what did you see in Europe? In Scandinavia, in Greece, in Spain, Bulgaria, Hungary, etc. etc.  The only thing you could have seen is a tremendous inhomogeneity - if you ever bothered to check the reports of the various countries in Europe. I have at least 50 kilos of them at home.i

"A lot more iodine than Cs": Which iodine? 131, 132,? Volatile molecular iodine? Methyl iodine? Iodide in ionic form? Iodate? They all have very different impact on humans and very different dose coefficients. Do you base your comment on activity or mass? Chris, in all friendship, you seem to need an update on your radiation protection knowledge.

Best regards,

Franz

--
Franz Schoenhofer, PhD, MinRat