[ RadSafe ] request for the information log (or whatever) for the releases from Japan power plants (More Information)

Roger Helbig rhelbig at sfo.com
Sat Mar 12 02:59:21 CST 2011

More searching - here is link to the Tokyo Electric Power Co statement about
the six reactors at this site -

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/11031203-e.html

All 6 units of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station have been shut down.

Unit 1 (shut down due to earthquake)
- Reactor was shut down and nuclear steam is cooled by the isolation
condenser.
- Currently, there is a possibility of a release of radioactive materials
  due to decrease in reactor water level.  Therefore, the national
government
  has instructed evacuation for those local residents within 3km radius of
  the periphery and indoor standby for those local residents between 3km and

  10km radius of the periphery.

Unit 2 (shut down due to earthquake)
- Reactor was shut down and although nuclear steam had been cooled by the
  Reactor Core Isolation Cooling system, the current operating status is
  unclear.  However, reactor coolant level can be monitored by a temporary
  power supply and the level is stable.
- Currently, there is a possibility of a release of radioactive materials
  due to decrease in reactor water level.  Therefore, the national
government
  has instructed evacuation for those local residents within 3km radius of
  the periphery and indoor standby for those local residents between 3km and

  10km radius of the periphery.

Here is what NHK is reporting on their website and this ominous information
is rocketing around the world in anti-nuke circles as being "confirmation of
a meltdown" - The Nuclear & Industrial Safety Agency press release is at
http://www.nisa.meti.go.jp/english/files/en20110312-4.pdf - the translation
appears a bit off and any RADSAFE members who can read Japanese characters
should probably refer to the Japanese release and perhaps improve the
translation.

Agency: Uranium fuel may be melting at reactor

The government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says 2 radioactive
substances, cesium and radioactive iodine, have been detected near the
Number One reactor at the Fukushima Number One nuclear power station.

The agency says this indicates that some of the metal containers of uranium
fuel may have started melting.
The substances are produced by fuel fission.

University of Tokyo Professor Naoto Sekimura says only a small part of the
fuel may have melted and leaked outside.

He called on residents near the power station to stay calm, saying that most
of the fuel remains inside the reactor, which has stopped operation and is
being cooled.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 15:26 +0900 (JST)