[ RadSafe ] Unit three has MOX fuel?

Egidi, Phil Phil.Egidi at dphe.state.co.us
Sun Mar 13 12:28:51 CDT 2011

I saw this on the BBC site, can anyone verify?

The BBC's Chris Hogg in Tokyo says a meltdown at reactor 3 would be potentially more serious than at the other reactors, because it is fuelled by plutonium and uranium, unlike the other units which carry only uranium.

This from the Washington Post (11:25 AM MST Sunday is when I am posting this):
Though the third unit is being filled with water, its gauge inside does not register the rising levels, Edano said. He did not have an explanation.

I am not a reactor guy, I know not from one to another.  Please opine of the significance of these reports.

My heart goes out to the people of Japan; Mother Nature sure is an insidious wench at times.  Amazing what a flick of her finger can do.

Phil Egidi
CDPHE