[ RadSafe ] What's a sievert?

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Wed Mar 16 20:18:26 CDT 2011

March 16

         This seems to be a reasonable description of exposure and
danger.  It quotes Fred Mettler.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110316/ap_on_he_me/us_med_radiation_q_a;_ylt=Ap56xE6iC66H3EpbLasjW_pn.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTM4b3BjdWtnBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwMzE2L3VzX21lZF9yYWRpYXRpb25fcV9hBGNjb2RlA21wX2VjXzhfMTAEY3BvcwM4BHBvcwM4BHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDaGVhbHRocmlza3Nv

         That URL is huge. . . .  Hope it works.

Steven Dapra

At 11:06 AM 3/16/2011, you wrote:
>With respect to Message 1 of March 16, the majority of the public has no
>idea what a 'sievert' is much less confusing micro and milli.  Few of the
>news items I have seen put the dosage information in context to 'normal
>background' or 'action levels' or health affecting levels along with the
>accompanying exposure times.  No wonder there is so much fear -
>the  explanations
>should be in simpler, layman language. As for the discussion  mentioned by
>Roger, where was that discussion?
>
>Christopher  M. Timm, PE
>Vice President/Senior Project Manager
>PECOS Management  Services, Inc.