No subject

Mon Mar 7 21:29:35 CST 2011

alpha
radiation has been detected so far.

This morning, we received additional data from the Agency=92s monitoring =
team
which indicated contamination on the ground at a location 50 to 70 km =
from
the Fukushima site. The team will make confirmatory measurements =
tomorrow at
the same locations to help validate the initial results. Grass and other
samples have also been taken by the team from various locations in the
Fukushima Prefecture for analysis.

=20

In the coming days, the IAEA monitoring team plans to take measurements =
at
the same locations monitored by the Japanese authorities. This will =
assist
in the validation of measurements. The IAEA is sending additional =
monitoring
experts to Japan to supplement its capabilities in the field.

=20

Some results on the monitoring of foodstuffs have been made available by
Japan to the IAEA and FAO. We can confirm measurements indicating that, =
in
some areas, Iodine-131 in milk and in freshly grown leafy vegetables, =
such
as spinach and spring onions, is significantly above the levels set by =
Japan
for restricting consumption of these food products.

=20

3. Agency Activities

=20

The Director General has returned to Vienna and will brief the Board of
Governors on Monday on the outcome of his visit to Tokyo=20

=20