[ RadSafe ] Correction: Relative Radiation Dose chart

Hansen, Richard HansenRG at nv.doe.gov
Wed Mar 23 12:22:17 CDT 2011

RadSafe:

In the posting yesterday, I mistakenly misspelled Dr. Metting's name.
The correct name is "Noelle Metting."
I apologize for the error.

Best regards,
Rick

Rick Hansen
Senior Scientist
CTOS - Center for Radiological/Nuclear Training at the Nevada National Security Site
National Security Technologies, LLC
Contractor to the United States Department of Energy
Office: 702-295-7813
Cell:    702-630-1131
hansenrg at nv.doe.gov<mailto:hansenrg at nv.doe.gov>
www.ctosnnsa.org

The statements and opinions expressed herein are those of the author and not necessarily those of the United States Government or any agency thereof, or National Security Technologies. Reference herein to any specific commercial product, process or service does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, favoring, or a commitment to purchase. This email and any attachments may contain privacy act information. If you received this message in error or are not the intended recipient you should destroy this message and any attachments, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing, or using any information contained herein. Please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail. Thank you for your cooperation.

Sandra,

Here are two other relative radiation dose charts.

Noelle Metting, the Program Manager at the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Low Dose Radiation Research Program, has compiled two "Ionizing Radiation Dose Range Charts," intended as a simple, user-friendly, "order-of-magnitude" reference for radiation exposures of interest to scientists, managers, and the general public." The same information is shown in two charts, one in units of rem and one in sieverts.

In regards to cancer risk and 10 rem [100 mSv] "threshold," these charts state the following:
"Evidence for small increases in human cancer above 10 rem [100 mSv] acute exposure or 20 rem [200 mSv] chronic exposure."

For the PDF version of the charts:
http://www.lowdose.energy.gov/pdf/DoseRanges.pdf

The DOE Low Dose Radiation Research Program funds basic research to determine the responses induced by radiation exposures at doses of 10 centigray (cGy) [10 rem and 100 mSv for gamma radiation] and below. Program research will provide a scientific underpinning for future radiation protection standards.

I encourage anyone who has questions about the cancer risks for "low" doses of radiation to contact the experts at the DOE Low Dose Radiation Research Program. Noelle Metting has been very helpful in the past when I needed some assistance for our training materials.
http://www.lowdose.energy.gov/

hansenrg at nv.doe.gov<mailto:hansenrg at nv.doe.gov<mailto:hansenrg at nv.doe.gov%3cmailto:hansenrg at nv.doe.gov>>
www.ctosnnsa.org<http://www.ctosnnsa.org>

The statements and opinions expressed herein are those of the author and not necessarily those of the United States Government or any agency thereof, or National Security Technologies. Reference herein to any specific commercial product, process or service does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, favoring, or a commitment to purchase. This email and any attachments may contain privacy act information. If you received this message in error or are not the intended recipient you should destroy this message and any attachments, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing, or using any information contained herein. Please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail. Thank you for your cooperation.

Message: 1