[ RadSafe ] Iodine Chemistry of nuclear reactors in emergency cases

McNaughton, Michael mcnaught at lanl.gov
Wed Mar 23 17:06:04 CDT 2011

Franz

Thank you for the information. I have copied a few paragraphs from your message because I have a question about the information in these paragraphs.

Fission products are created as individual atoms so I suppose an individual atom of radioactive iodine is most likely to react with a different atom and form an iodide. I suppose it is less likely to find another iodine atom and form molecular iodine, I2. Is that correct?

So does that mean that after some time, there will only a small amount of radio-iodine in the chemical form I2? Is most of it in some other chemical form, perhaps in a form that can be collected as particulates on a filter?

Mike McNaughton
LANL
mcnaught at lanl.gov