[ RadSafe ] Radiation, Risk, and the Radon Spa of Jachymov

Paul Voosen voosen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 15:51:37 CDT 2011

I joined RadSafe several years ago, preparing to write a piece about
the history of low-dose radiation science and policy by exploring the
world's oldest radon spa, at Jachymov. (I was based previously in the
CR.) It took some time, but today Amazon published the resulting
narrative -- "The Stir of Waters: Radiation, Risk, and the Radon Spa
of Jachymov" -- as one of their Kindle Singles, their new format for
long-form journalism.

It's available here: http://amzn.to/gvo7OU

I'd value the input of RadSafe's readers on the story. I visited the
spa, spoke with historians about its origins, toured the mines -- the
Curies' pitchblende came from there, and the Soviets' first uranium --
spoke with their chief doctor, had a radon bath, and then spent time
on this side of the Atlantic looking at extracellular mechanisms of
ionizing radiation. It could be up your alley.

Paul

---
Paul Voosen
Reporter, Greenwire