[ RadSafe ] SI units (was Oregon..etc)

Perle, Sandy SPerle at mirion.com
Sat Mar 26 10:49:53 CDT 2011

Franz and Mike and others are correct. The time to start the transition is
now. It's all about educating the incoming physicists. Perhaps it's too
late for the "old-timers", but attrition takes care of that!

Regards,

Sandy

-----------------------------------
Sander C. Perle
President
Mirion Technologies
Dosimetry Services Division
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

+1 (949) 296-2306 (Office)
+1 (949) 296-1130 (Fax)

Mirion Technologies: http://www.mirion.com/

On 3/26/11 8:42 AM, "Stabin, Michael" <michael.g.stabin at Vanderbilt.Edu>
wrote:

>Franz wrote:
>
>>I really have a wish, connected to radiation protection: The whole world
>>is learning English, but the USA is still sticking to radiation units
>>being more than outdated in almost all of what US-hardliners call "rest
>>of the world". The USA will soon be the only country in this world using
>>them.
>
>Perfect!!! Hear, hear! I used to show a graph of the worldwide 'iron
>triangle" of protection against SI units, which included the US, Liberia
>and Burma. Now it is just a point of fortified resistance, here in the
>US, which is utterly ridiculous and nonscientific and must end. People
>complain that it's too hard, we can't learn it (of course while saying we
>can do anything else in the world). But every American can answer
>instantly if a 2 liter bottle of soda is about right or too much for one
>person to drink during dinner, right? Gy, Sv, Bq, it's not that hard,
>people and we look quite silly for not trying. As Franz notes, almost
>everywhere I go in the world, people speak English, along with their
>native languages, and often one or two more. You can learn to speak SI,
>get some dang Rosetta Stone DVDs if you have to.
>

>Mike
>
>Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
>Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
>Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
>Vanderbilt University
>1161 21st Avenue South
>Nashville, TN 37232-2675
>Phone (615) 343-4628
>Fax   (615) 322-3764
>e-mail     michael.g.stabin at vanderbilt.edu
>internet   www.doseinfo-radar.com

PROPRIETARY INFORMATION NOTICE:   This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain proprietary information of Mirion Technologies and/or its affiliates.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the message, delete the original message and all attachments from your computer, and destroy any copies you may have made.  Thank you.