[ RadSafe ] SI Units

Mark Sonter sontermj at tpg.com.au
Tue Mar 29 18:08:35 CDT 2011

When I was a 'boy academic' at University of Papua New Guinea in 1973
(??) we 'went metric' and I and a colleague hung a giant poster saying
'Fahrenheit is Dead: Long Live Celsius' on the Physics Building... it
was a lovely 24 C morning in Port Moresby, middle of the dry season,
heading for a high of 27...

And like Richard Smart, I also learnt my radiation first in Curies and
rems, in 1976, and then swapped to Becquerels and Sieverts about 5 years
later... it took a bit of effort but now I find it difficult to go back...

Have to keep thinking: One Polish girl chemist = 37 Billion professors;
1 sievert = 100 rem.

Cheers!

Mark Sonter

Radiation Advice & Solutions Pty Ltd,   abn 31 891 761 435
Asteroid Enterprises Pty Ltd,   abn 53 008 115 302

116 Pennine Drive, South Maclean, Queensland 4280, Australia

Phone / fax  (07) 3297 7653   Mobile 0412 433 286

“Keep everything as simple as possible, but no simpler”  - A. Einstein

--This email was produced using recycled electrons--