[ RadSafe ] New 20 mSv/year exposure limit for Japanese children...?

Nick Tsurikov nick.tsurikov at gmail.com
Mon May 2 03:38:34 CDT 2011

Dear all,
I've heard rumors before, but never thought this will see the light of day:
http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/05/88940.html  (text below...)
Well...  It would be very interesting to see what the opinions on this will
be.  My opinion, unfortunately, will not pass many email servers as it is
quite unprintable.  It would not be hard to guess though...
Kind regards
Nick Tsurikov, Western Australia

U.S. medical group blasts Tokyo radiation policy on Fukushima children

TOKYO, May 2, Kyodo

Physicians for Social Responsibility, a U.S. nonprofit organization of
medical experts, has condemned as ''unconscionable'' the Japanese
government's safety standards on radiation levels at elementary and middle
schools in nuclear disaster-stricken Fukushima Prefecture.

The PSR statement directly challenges the Japanese government stance that it
is safe for schoolchildren to use playgrounds on school premises in the
prefecture as long as the dose they are exposed to does not exceed 20
millisieverts over a year.

The PSR view is also in line with that voiced by Toshiso Kosako, who said
Friday he would step down as an adviser to Prime Minister Naoto Kan on the
Fukushima nuclear crisis in protest. The University of Tokyo professor urged
the government to toughen guidelines on upper limits on radiation levels the
education ministry recently announced for primary school playgrounds in
Fukushima.