[ RadSafe ] From the UK ONR interim report on 'lessons learnt' re Fukushima

Fred Dawson GoogleMail fred.wp.dawson at googlemail.com
Wed May 18 06:22:01 CDT 2011

Chief Nuclear Inspector publishes interim 'lessons learnt' report

Early analysis of Japanese accident makes 26 recommendations for UK

An interim assessment of the implications of the nuclear crisis in Japan
concludes there is no need to curtail the operations of nuclear plants in
the UK
but lessons should be learnt.

The UK's Chief Inspector of Nuclear Installations, Mike Weightman, today
publishes a report, requested by the UK Government, in which he calls for
to be taken to learn from events at Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power

His report identifies 25 recommended areas for review - by either industry,
Government or regulators - to determine if sensible and appropriate measures
further improve safety in the UK nuclear industry. These include reviews of
layout of UK power plants, emergency response arrangements, dealing with
prolonged loss of power supplies and the risks associated with flooding.

The 26th recommendation calls for plans to be published by the middle of
detailing how each of these 25 matters will be addressed.

Mike Weightman, executive head of the Office for Nuclear Regulation, said:

"The extreme natural events that preceded the accident at Fukushima - the
magnitude 9 earthquake and subsequent huge tsunami - are not credible in the
We are 1,000 miles from the nearest fault line and we have safeguards in
that protect against even very remote hazards. Our operating and proposed
reactor designs and technology are different to the type at the Fukushima

"But we are not complacent. No matter what the differences are, and how high
standard of design and subsequent operation of the nuclear facilities here
the UK, the quest for improvement must never stop. Seeking to learn from
and from new knowledge, both nationally and internationally, must continue
to be
a fundamental feature of the safety culture of the UK nuclear industry.

"The Japanese people are still dealing with the aftermath of this terrible
event. The full facts are not clear. I depart for Japan next week to lead a
fact-finding mission on behalf of the International Atomic Energy Agency,
support from nuclear experts from across the world. This will help inform my
final and more comprehensive `lessons learned' report which I will publish

The report published today was requested by the Secretary of State for
and Climate Change within days of the earthquake and subsequent tsunami of
March that led to the crisis at Fukushima Dai-ichi. This is the interim
requested by Chris Huhne. The full, more comprehensive report will be
in September.

Notes to editors
1.The interim report, `Japanese earthquake and tsunami: Implications for the
Nuclear Industry', is available at www.hse.gov.uk/nuclear/fukushima/
2.Mike Weightman is Her Majesty's Chief Inspector of Nuclear Installations
executive head of the Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR). His full
biography is
at www.hse.gov.uk/aboutus/hseboard/biographies/smt/weightman.htm
3.More information about the IAEA mission to Japan is at
4.ONR was formed on 1 April 2011 and seeks to secure the protection of
and society from the hazards of the nuclear industry by ensuring compliance
relevant legislation and by influencing the nuclear industry to create an
excellent health, safety and security culture. www.hse.gov.uk/nuclear

Press enquiries

Kevin Hegarty

0151 951 4593