[ RadSafe ] Germany to shut down reactors by 2022

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Mon May 30 21:58:13 CDT 2011

Not sure that I agree with this statement. The size of Europe makes transnational electrical power generation feasible. 500 MW power lines have been run over 1500 km (http://tinyurl.com/3zm4l82). If I was a country like France or Poland, I would press for incredibly large carbon tariffs, large carbon taxes, and any other method that I could think of for making fossil generation impossible. The EU already wants these fees. I would then build in excess nuclear capacity and sell it to anyone trying to survive on intermittent energy sources at ridiculous cost.

I would imagine that large companies like DaimlerChrysler, Siemens, Volkswagen, BASF, etc would be willing to move plants closer to countries willing to supply stable baseload power and pay for the transmission lines necessary to connect to a stable grid.

Poland seems to be well placed in this regard. They will have new nuclear plants (http://tinyurl.com/4ywp4r9) and with a growing economy could certainly use a large infusion of capital. Making money by utilizing a small amount of natural resources (UO2) and generating minimal amounts of waste by volume is always a good idea. Poland has many salt deposits that could be used as repositories after reprocessing (http://tinyurl.com/3vztxl8).

I do not own stock in Poland, although I probably should. It looks like they are moving in the right direction.

Jeff