No subject

Wed May 18 15:38:07 CDT 2011

n=A0Irradiator and a Americium source I can assure you that they can and wi=
ll =0Adispose of large sources.=A0 They will remove your=A0Irradiator from =
your campus in =0Aone piece.=A0 They didn't charge my campus for the remova=
l of either source.=A0 The =0Aonly caveat is that they have to live within =
a budget just=A0like the rest of us =0Aand it took quite some time, like tw=
o years, for them to come out and remove the =0Airradiator.=A0=0A=A0Roy Her=
ren =0A=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AFrom: "Wasiolek, Mary=
la" <mwasiol at sandia.gov>=0ATo: The International Radiation Protection (Heal=
 15, 2011 3:56:39 PM=0ASubject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Removal of Cs-137 source fr=
om an old irradiator=0A=0AGentlemen, =0A=0AThank you very much for the tips=
.=A0 At some point we did contact OSRP, but from =0Awhat I understand, the =
removal of our source was not quite consistent with their =0Amission. The i=
rradiator is rather large, about 6 feet tall, which is why we =0Athought we=
 would try to remove the source for disposal, e.g., from behind the =0Ashie=
ld wall using manipulators.=A0 That is why I was looking for the informatio=
n =0Aon how the irradiator was constructed inside. =0A=0A=0AThanks again,=
=0A=0AMaryla Wasiolek=0AGamma Irradiation Facility=0ASandia National Labora=
tories=0AAlbuquerque, NM=0A505-844-3507=A0 =A0 =0A=0A-----Original Message-=
----=0AFrom: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu =0A[mailto:radsafe-bounces=
@health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of ROY HERREN=0ASent: Monday, August 15, 20=
11 3:43 PM=0ATo: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Ma=
iling List=0ASubject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Removal of Cs-137 source from an old =
irradiator=0A=0AThe very=A0best deal to be had for disposal of these types =
of items can be found =0Aat Off-Site Source Recovery Project, OSRP, http://=
osrp.lanl.gov/.=A0 The cost to =0Ayour facility will be minimal, that is if=
 there is any cost at all.=0A=0A=A0Roy Herren =0A=0A=0A=0A=0A______________=
__________________=0AFrom: "DrDonRhodes at cs.com" <DrDonRhodes at cs.com>=0ATo: =
radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu=0ASent: Mon, August 15, 2011 2:35:30 PM=0ASubje=
ct: Re: [ RadSafe ] Removal of Cs-137 source from an old irradiator=0A=0AHi=
,=0A=A0 =A0 =A0 I had a similar problem 25 years ago involving 200 curies o=
f Co-60 =0Ain an experimental device which I designed and built.=A0 I had a=
 complete set =0Aof drawings, but I did not try to remove the sources.=0A=
=A0 =A0 =A0 I got a type B shipping container from Chem Nuclear Systems, lo=
aded =0Athe device, mixed and poured in concrete and shipped for disposal.=
=0A=A0 =A0 =A0 This is expensive and does not help you much.=0AGood luck,=
currently subscribed to the RadSafe mailing list=0A=0ABefore posting a mess=
age to RadSafe be sure to have read and understood the =0ARadSafe rules. Th=
ese can be found at: =0Ahttp://health.phys.iit.edu/radsaferules.html=0A=0AF=
or information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe and other settings visit:=
 settings visit: =0Ahttp://health.phys.iit.edu=0A=0A=0A____________________=