[ RadSafe ] Decontamination in Fukushima Area Going Slowly

Roger Helbig rwhelbig at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 02:22:15 CST 2011

Seeing the picture at the top of this article of a worker using high
pressure washer on a roof, I wonder if the workers are really using
effective methods to decontaminate (I even wonder if the area is safer
leaving the roof alone, than by pressure washing it, which I would think is
highly likely to spread the radioactive fission products deposited there
than to contain them)
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20111124p2a00m0na014000c.html *
http://tinyurl.com/7fy6brt*
**
I also note that they are considering removing the top layer of asphalt.
During the pre-closure cleanup at Mare Island, we used scabblers connected
to HEPA vacuums to remove concrete contaminated by PCBs and to minor degree
by radioactive materials.  I wonder if the Japanese decontamination firms
have considered such a technique.
**
Roger Helbig