[ RadSafe ] Rational Thought

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Tue Oct 4 20:33:44 CDT 2011

At 09:39 AM 10/4/2011, you wrote:
>Franz,
>It is not obvious to me from any of your emails that you know
>anything much at all.
>Since the wind energy is free any loss of efficiency has to be
>considered in that context. What is the efficiency of a sailing
>yacht? It gets you from A to B without any outlay on fuel.

Oct. 4

         For someone who claims to own a yacht, you (Busby) don't
seem to know much about them.  Wind is free.  The yacht is not.  They
are very expensive to buy and maintain.  One must spend hundreds of
thousands of dollars to own and maintain a yacht and for what?  To
get free fuel?  To harness that free fuel one must have sails.  How
much does a suit of sails cost for a typical yacht?  How long does it
last?  Come on, Chris.  Wake up for a few minutes.

         It's not that you "know so much," (your self-serving claim
below) it's that you know so little.  Why don't you do some "study
and hard work" on the cost per mile of operating your
yacht.  Remember to include the time spent scraping barnacles off the
hull.  I suspect you will be in for an unpleasant surprise.

Steven Dapra

>What, for example is the efficiency of nuclear power? A meaningless
>question. And if you bring in all the cancer children near the
>nuclear sites, the disposal of the waste etc., its efficiency is
>probably negative.  The efficiency of hydrogen production from
>electrolysis is very high. The efficiency of burning hydrogen in a
>heat engine is Carnot-based dQ/T.  What you may like to know is that
>I am a Physical Chemist and Chemical Physicist, was responsible at
>Wellcome for and was the expert on Thermodynamics, I also ran the
>electrochemical laboratory and my 2nd PhD was in Raman
>Spectroelectrochemistry. I am sorry that I know so much, but that's
>not my problem, its just a consequence of much study and hard work
>in many areas.
>I do enjoy our little exchanges. Keep up the insults. Most entertaining.
>Best regards
>Chris

[edit]