[ RadSafe ] RadSafe Digest, Vol 764, Issue 2

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Wed Oct 5 19:43:39 CDT 2011

Oct. 5

         On Oct. 4 in the "Rational Thought" thread you (Busby)
wrote, "Do you have a referenced study?"  Do you have a referenced
study for your claims below?  And I don't mean something you conjured
up.  All you have is some anecdotal evidence and a report on Al
Jazeera.  The latter is not exactly a referenced study.

         Sternglass did cherry pick the data.  See Samuel McCracken's
analysis of his claims in "The War Against the Atom," pp. 122-133.

Steven Dapra

At 02:26 PM 10/5/2011, you wrote:
>The heart attack point was predicated on the work of Yuri
>Bandashevsky who carried out work in the Belarus areas where
>children were contaminated by the Chernobyl fallout. This was
>epidemiology. I dont know how many children are suffering in Japan,
>just that some mothers have contacted me with description of
>symptoms: there was a item on Al Jazeera. But thats not
>epidemiology. What I did do was some calculations about Cs137
>content of heart muscle and the number of heart muscle cells. I dont
>think you know about what Sternglass did. There was no cherry
>picking of data, and his work was published in peer review, as much
>of mine is. If you want to knock it, you should also publish in peer
>review. What Sterngalss did ( and Robin Whyte in the BMJ in 1990 who
>followed it up) was to look at a graph of infant mortality in UK and
>USA and notice that after the weapons fallout the infant mortality
>suddenly increased. I fail to see how that is cherry picking. It
>conforms to the causalit
>  y requirements of Sir Austen Bradford Hill (Principles of Medical
> Statistics 1961)  who is generally recognised as being the gold
> standard in these affairs. Please explain.
>Sincerely
>Chris

[edit]