[ RadSafe ] Drawing the linebetween scienceandpseudo-science. (was Rational Thought)

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Thu Oct 6 19:36:50 CDT 2011

Oct. 6

         Dogma:  "something held as an established opinion:
(especially) a definite authoritative tenet."  (Webster's New
Collegiate Dictionary, 1974).

         Does "science" hold established opinions?  Most people would
probably say "Yes."  Hence, it looks like science and dogma are
exactly the same, and not "exact opposites" as you claim.

Steven Dapra

At 07:34 AM 10/6/2011, you wrote:
>I am afraid I have to disagree. Science and dogma are exact
>opposites. Science did flourish in the ancient world, perhaps more
>than we can know, and it was stamped out of the civilised society of
>the time for 15 centuries by the advancing  religion, Christianity .
>It is still clearly documented that the spherical shape of the earth
>(Ptolemaios & Eratosthenes) and the sun centred planet system
>(aristarxos) were common knowledge by 100 BC. Despite this, it is on
>these same issues that scientists of the renaissance were threatened
>by the Church who proclaimed the opposite based on a "holy book".
>
>Our contemporary progress in science and engineering and the fruits
>of both are by no means guaranteed for ever. If you look in the new
>age sites, the religious apocalyptic trends, the "go back to
>innocence" green illusions, the phobic reactions of western
>societies to new technologies, you might get a glimpse of a looming
>new dark ages era. This will not go away on its own. Reason must be
>actively defended, not left to fight for itself.
>

>Demetrios

[edit]