[ RadSafe ] bats and Bayer

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 21:01:14 CDT 2011

Thanks to whomever sent me the information about Bayer insecticides
and bats.  Imidacloprid is implicated in bees' colony collapse
disorder, and bees are one of the main food sources for bats (yuck!)
Last month, Bayer withdrew some of their pesticides which are toxic to
humans -- http://www.cbgnetwork.org/4041.html -- but the imidacloprid
is still being sold.

For those of you lost in message volume, this is pertinent because
wind is currently being installed 2x last year's rate, is selling for
5-6 cents/kWh, which is two cents less than the next least expensive
form of electricity, coal, and the surplus of wind power at night has
the potential to become a substantial source of methane for power
storage and synthetic transportation fuel.  But if wind is
fundamentally incompatible with bats, then we'd have to use something
else to protect the troposphere from infrared radiation, because bats
are important.