[ RadSafe ] is uranium genotoxic? (was Re: CB interviewonenrichedU)

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Sat Oct 29 13:52:19 CDT 2011

Oct. 29

At 03:15 AM 10/29/2011, you wrote:
>You should read a book called "The battle of Fallujah" cited in the paper

         This book is "Operation Phantom Fury. The assault and
capture of Fallujah, Iraq," by Dick Camp (New York: Zenith Press;
2009).  Camp is a Marine Corps full colonel.  Busby's Fallujah hair
sample paper (fn. 54) has the correct citation.  I have not read Dick's book.

         Looking on Wikipedia, I found an entry about the
Italian-made movie "Fallujah, The Hidden Massacre."  This movie
claims, with some merit, that the U.S. used white phosphorus in its
invasion and destruction of Fallujah.  The Wikipedia entry about the
movie says nothing about depleted uranium, however DU may have been
beyond the scope of the movie.

         The Wikipedia entry "Fallujah during the Iraq War" also says
nothing about DU.  Busby's interest in this may be
self-generated.  The last section of the "during" entry ("Health
Effects") reads:

"In July 2010, BBC reported a study by Dr. Chris Busby, detailing
increases in infant mortality, such as a 12 fold increase in
childhood cancer reported in Fallujah since the attack. [48]  It
alleges that in 2004, Iraq had the world's highest rate of leukaemia,
in which significant increased are also reported. The report also
noted that the sex ratio had declined from normal to 86 boys to 100
girls, together with a spread of diseases indicative of genetic
damage similar to but far greater than Hiroshima. The study concludes
however that the evidence is anecdotal and that the identity of the
agents causing the increases in illness were not determined.
[49]  There is also evidence that the report suffers from bias, and
that its methods fail to meet the standards of a legitimate,
peer-reviewed, scientific study. [50]"  (I have omitted the
hyperlinks from the Wikipedia article.)

         Footnote 48 is a link to a BBC story titled "Fallujah
childrens' 'genetic damage' ".  I can't download the BBC story
because my computer doesn't have some necessary software.  The
portion I can obtain says that according to a "new survey," cancer,
leukemia, and infant mortality are all increasing in Fallujah; and
that "doctors have been reporting a large number of birth defects
since the 2004 offensive."  Remember, the study is by Busby.  The BBC link is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-10721562

         Footnote 49 is to an intermediate web site which has a link
to Busby's co-authored paper "Cancer, Infant Mortality and Birth
Sex-Ratio in Fallujah, Iraq" (Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health
2010, 7, 2828-2837).  In fairness to Busby and his co-authors, the
Conclusions of the paper say, "Finally, the results reported here do
not throw any light upon the identity of the agent(s) causing the
increased levels of illness and although we have drawn attention to
the use of depleted uranium as one potential relevant exposure, there
may be other possibilities and we see the current study as
investigating the anecdotal evidence of increases in cancer and
infant mortality in Fallujah."

         Footnote 50 is to Junk Science's "Chris Busby Exposed" article.

http://junksciencewatch.wordpress.com/

         So . . . although pathetic and exasperating, this whole
thing now becomes somewhat comical.  Busby recommends a book.  He has
the title wrong (here).  He claims or broadly insinuates that DU was
used in Fallujah.  His co-authored paper acknowledges that there are
"other possibilities" than DU for the medical problems he reports in
Fallujah.

         It seems to me that Dr. Chris Busby is increasingly becoming
entangled in a web of his own lies, deceit, and incompetence.

Steven Dapra

At 03:15 AM 10/29/2011, you wrote:
>You should read a book called "The battle of Fallujah" cited in the paper

[edit]